Generous donation to DMU results in new scholarship, renamed lecture hall

(Des Moines, IA) – Paul Ruza, D.O., of Farmington Hills, MI, recently committed $400,000 toward scholarships at Des Moines University (DMU).

Dr. Ruza is a 1956 graduate of DMU, then called Des Moines Still College of Osteopathy & Surgery. The school in Des Moines, IA, is the 15th largest medical school in the country.

“Thanks to DMU, I made a living and supported my family while doing what I enjoyed,” Dr. Ruza said in an earlier interview. “I was in practice until this year and I graduated in 1956. I think it’s necessary you pay back what others who came before you gave to make your education possible; you’re making a difference.”

A 21-year member of DMU’s Board of Trustees, Dr. Ruza was originally an emergency room physician at the former Northwest General Hospital in the Detroit area. He later became a general practitioner associated with Garden City (MI) Osteopathic Hospital. In the late 1970s and early 80s, he was involved in treating alcoholism at Garden City Hospital. Dr. Ruza was a medical consultant to Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan from 1989-1995. From 1995 until 2000 he was affiliated with Detroit Mercy Hospital. He is now retired.

Des Moines University honored Dr. Ruza’s generous contribution by renaming a lecture hall after him on December 5.