Current read: The Omnivore’s Dilemma

Have you ever read a book that has affected you in some way?

My current read is the Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan and I’m only about halfway through it. I am really enjoying the book because it talks about my favorite subject, food, and the agricultural industry too.

There were moments in the book where I felt compelled to be vegetarian but have come to the conclusion that eating meat is not bad as long as the animal was treated right.

The book also reveals some startling facts regarding the food industry and how consumers are blinded by the source of their food and how it was produced – and how interesting that this is completely acceptable! For instance, how many cows goes into one McDonald’s hamburger? Before reading this book, I didn’t even know a hamburger could be from several cows! Or that a chicken nugget is hardly made from a chicken. There is a big mention of Iowa and corn (no surprise) but it is surprising to learn how corn really is everywhere in your food and even in your gasoline.

As health care workers we will be asked to give nutrition and health advice (ok, maybe not as often for us podiatric docs!) so we should be up on all the aspects of eating. Have you read this book? What is your interpretation of the dilemma?