It’s September already?

You haven’t heard from me for a little while because

1. I haven’t done anything new (still on rotations in Michigan)
  2. I haven’t cooked anything new (still eating frozen food)
  3. The dog has consumed my free time

But I have started a new audible book with the cheesy title, “How to Win Friends & Influence People” by Dale Carnegie (not to be confused with his distant cousin Andrew Carnegie). I like this book and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning more about communication skills. This book is relevant to anyone working with people, especially health care workers.

Some of the things I learned from this book is that people really like to talk about themselves. (I think I learned this from the movie “30-Year Old Virgin,” too.) This phenomenon is helpful to understand when communicating with patients. Listening to your patients with interest makes your patient feel important, which will help bring down defensive barriers when trying to encourage your patient to comply with medical recommendations. Talk in terms of what they want, instead of what “I” (the medical professional) wants. Check out the book for more details. I’m just getting started!

I really like this book and wouldn’t mind getting more like it. Any recommendations?