Alumni spotlight: Bruce A. Scudday, D.P.M.’89

Bruce Scudday
Bruce A. Scudday, D.P.M.'89

Professional background

After graduating from UOMHS, I completed podiatric surgical residency programs in St. Louis, MO, and Dallas, TX. I briefly practiced in Dallas before establishing a private practice in El Paso, TX, in 1995. I received certifications in foot surgery from the American Board of Podiatric Surgery in August 1998 and in reconstructive rearfoot and ankle surgery in August 2001.

I am keenly interested in preserving the future of foot and ankle surgeons. I have held various positions within the American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS), including as treasurer and later president of Division 3 of the ACFAS. Currently, I serve as chair of the ACFAS professional relations committee and served as a board member of the Texas Podiatric Medical Association in 2002. Texas Governor Rick Perry appointed me in 2002 to the Texas State Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners, which I served on for six years.

Favorite part of my job

Hearing a heartfelt “thank you” from patients and their family members.  The truly heartfelt “thank you” isn’t heard every day, but when it is, it’s most rewarding.

Best memory of DMU

Making friends with future colleagues.  There were some tough days and courses, but I made many deep and enduring relationships over this shared common experience.  We certainly enjoyed the Ingersoll Crawl on occasion.

Why I stay involved with DMU

Initially, my involvement was simply reading alumni publications to keep up with former classmates and professors. As my dedication to the profession and preserving its future grew, I wanted to become more involved with DMU. A trip back to Des Moines and a tour of the University in 2010 demonstrated to me what a first-class educational institution DMU is. I am honored to be counted among DMU alumni.

Advice to those just starting out in the profession

Pay off student loans ASAP! Remember, “Debt is a prison with the illusion of wealth.”  Being a foot and ankle surgeon is a great profession and specialty. However, it can take some time to fully appreciate and to establish yourself in a community, but once you make it, it’s well worth the work!

Hobbies 

Include fly fishing and big game hunting. I have been fortunate to go hunting in Alaska, Africa, Argentina, Canada and throughout the Southwestern United States.