Provider Profile: Meet Dr. Kari Smith

Kari Smith, D.P.T., ATCName:
Kari Smith, D.P.T., ATC

Title:
Clinic Manager/Assistant Professor

Clinic:
Physical Therapy Clinic

Undergraduate School:
South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota

Medical School:
Des Moines University, Des Moines, Iowa

Additional Degrees/Training:
BCIA: Board Certification in Biofeedback-Pelvic Muscle Dysfunction
APTA: Certificate of Achievement in Pelvic Physical Therapy
NATA: Certified Athletic Trainer
Stott Pilates certified instructor on mat and reformer 

What Attracted Me to Physical Therapy:
My interest in physical activity and health initially led me to athletic training. I enjoyed the rehab aspect more than the on-the-field acute management of injuries, so I went on to graduate school for physical therapy. It is the best decision I have made as I enjoy the greater variety of clients and working in a clinic setting.

Clinical Interests:
My clinical interests have changed over the years from a sport medicine focus to the treatment of pelvic dysfunctions and women’s health.

Conditions I Treat:
The majority of the patients I currently see are here due to pelvic pain, incontinence, pregnancy and postpartum care, along with biofeedback for constipation and dyssynergic defecation. I continue to treat a variety of neuromuscular dysfunctions from neck and back pain to hip and shoulder injuries. I enjoy integrating my background in Pilates into core stabilization rehab programs.

How Physical Therapy Can Benefit Patients:
Physical therapy can help restore normal function and improve your quality of life through correcting motor coordination and movement dysfunctions.

How I Spend My Free Time:
I like spending time outdoors and at sporting activities with my husband and three boys. I also enjoy training for triathlons or marathons.

Fun Fact:
I grew up on a farm in western South Dakota and spent my summers showing horses and cattle.

Health Advice to Live By:
Take time to take care of yourself, including your physical, spiritual, mental and emotional health.

Disclaimer: This content is created for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.