Alumni spotlight: Kyle Teeling, M.H.A.’14

Kyle Teeling, M.H.A.'14
Kyle Teeling, M.H.A.’14

After working less than two years in community relations and development at Community Memorial Hospital in Sumner, IA, Kyle Teeling realized the abundance of non-clinical opportunities in the industry. Earning an advanced degree was a “logical option” in helping him further his career.

“I had previously considered an M.B.A. prior to entering health care. I once again considered it, but I also began looking into the M.H.A.,” he says. “Considering that I already was  in health care but with limited experience, I opted for the M.H.A. with intentions of exploring opportunities and furthering my career in the field.”

Finding an “endless list” of M.H.A. programs in an online search, Teeling eventually chose DMU because of its “reputable and respected history.”

“In addition, even with the online environment, I was drawn to DMU because of it being ‘local’ and the face-to-face element of the executive residencies,” he adds.

The residencies provided him with his most notable experiences in the program. “The residencies bring the program to life. They provide the opportunity to put a face with a name, interact with each other and the professors, and learn from each other’s unique situations and experiences,” he says.

Teeling completed his M.H.A. in 2014, the year he also was appointed Community Memorial Hospital’s director of support services. He affirms he would recommend the DMU program to others.

“It is a great opportunity to expand your knowledge and create a foundation for a career in health care,” he says. “You will learn from professors who have worked or still work in the industry and have the opportunity to learn from other students that come to the program from many other disciplines.”