“Another Season Comes and Goes,” Part 10

The Medical Humanities Society at Des Moines University presents its first annual online arts gallery, “Another Season Comes and Goes.” The gallery features art works and the written word by DMU students depicting seasons of human life and of the earth.

Gallery curators are Megan Kavanaugh, a second-year osteopathic medical student, and Megha Pokhriyal, a first-year osteopathic medical student. They are executive officers of the Medical Humanities Society.

Part 9 View the full series Part 11 

In part 10 of “Another Season Comes and Goes,” we present the photography of Sameed Ashfaq, a second-year osteopathic medical student from Fort Lauderdale, FL.

About his photography, Sameed says, “Anytime I have the opportunity to gaze out at a beautiful sunset, a mighty mountain range, or witness the immense power of the waves at the beach, I am always left with a new sense of admiration for nature. My love for nature combined with my passion for photography led me to try and capture these moments.

“Sometimes the scene is so breathtaking, I know I won’t possibly be able to capture what lies in front of me,” he adds. “So I just stand there and look, hear, smell, feel and just breathe… to try and absorb as much as I can for memory alone. But I find myself taking the shot anyway.”

“I feel that shooting nature is always different from what you see with your eyes,” Sameed says. “It allows you to freeze a moment in time and appreciate the details you may have missed, like the rays of the sun piercing through the dark sky as it rises, or the texture of the wet sand on the beach as it glistens against the sunlight. With photography, you have a chance to look closely and observe a fleeting moment. These are a few moments I wanted to share.”

Part 9 View the full series Part 11