Alumna O’Shea named Iowa Family Physician of the year

Noreen O'Shea, D.O., FAAFP
Noreen O’Shea, D.O., FAAFP, is a DMU graduate and an assistant professor of family medicine at the University.

Noreen O’Shea, D.O.’84, FAAFP, assistant professor of behavioral medicine, medical humanities and ethics and a family physician in Des Moines, was named the 2018-2019 Iowa Family Physician of the Year by the Iowa Academy of Family Physicians (IAFP). The award is presented to one outstanding physician in the state who best exemplifies the tradition of the family doctor and who epitomizes the finest standards of family health care.

One of her patients stated in a letter: “Dr. O’Shea always calls with test results… I remember feeling very surprised that she was using her personal time to call and discuss a plan of action. I was also even more impressed with her diligence. Dr. O’Shea works with her patients as a team member. She has given me materials about health issues she is teaching as a professor to educate me about my condition.

This is a woman who loves being a doctor. She listens, she researches, she teaches, she cares… I’ve never met a physician who is so well-rounded and committed to helping people.”

As the Iowa Family Physician of the Year, O’Shea will become Iowa’s nominee to the American Academy of Family Physicians for the 2020 National Family Physician of the Year.

Board-certified in family medicine and a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians, O’Shea has served on the board of the IAFP, and she’s currently a trustee of the Iowa Osteopathic Medical Association.

IAFP has more than 1,800 members and is a constituent chapter of the American Academy of Family Physicians, which is the largest medical specialty society in the United States with a membership of more than 120,000 family physicians, family medicine residents and medical students.