Alumni share their wisdom

This spring, the DMU alumni relations staff asked 2019 graduates of the University’s four clinical programs to write cards to this year’s incoming students. Below are some excerpts: 

Physician Assistant Program

“Always remember, YOU GOT THIS! No matter how hard things get, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. In the words of Dory from ‘Finding Nemo,’ just keep swimming.” 

“Congrats on finally getting to this moment! I am so excited for you to start this journey… Have so much fun and cherish every moment – it goes fast!” 

“I wish you the best in this didactic year – they chose you for a reason! I hope you gain a lot of medical knowledge, but I also hope you meet some lifelong friends in the journey.” 

PODIATRIC MEDICINE AND SURGERY PROGRAM 

“So you want to be a doctor? Well, you are off to a GREAT start! DMU is such an amazing school and really does deliver GREAT training…Make sure to sacrifice a few hours a week to do something you love and enjoy. Trust the system, trust DMU. Its reputation will take you places!” 

“Be proud of what you have accomplished so far and look forward to four exhilarating years. Study hard, but remember, grades are NOT everything.” 

“It seemed like yesterday I was just moving to Des Moines for the first time. It truly flies by! Be confident and don’t be afraid to lean on your classmates for help…This is the start of a long road. It is a marathon so pace yourself – but have fun!” 

“I cannot say that first year will be easy, but I promise that you can and will get through it! Work hard, stay involved and make lifelong colleagues.” 

OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE PROGRAM 

“Medical school is a special time. You are going to have so many incredible experiences and meet so many amazing people. You are also going to be challenged. YOU WILL BE OKAY! You would not be where you are today if you could not handle it…I’m excited for you, and I’m rooting for you.” 

“ Congratulations and welcome to DMU, future doctor!…Enjoy your time on campus, get involved in your class and let knowing your future patients are counting on you be your motivation for success.” 

“I am so happy to be among the first to welcome you to the DMU community…If you are anything like me, you will be terrified at your first board exam and anxious about rotations and matching. But always remember you are here for a reason, you belong here and everything will work out.” 

“As you start your career in medicine, you may be absorbed in keeping up with classes and activities, which can feel overwhelming at times. What helped me the most was to keep my most important goals in mind. Use them to guide you these next four years.” 

PHYSICAL THERAPY PROGRAM 

“Remember to take care of yourself, have fun and get a standing desk. Always, always take advantage of free coffee and food – these are some of the best days besides having various professors dance in class!” 

“These next few years are going to fly by, so take the time to engage with your classmates and faculty, and get involved in as many ways as you can on campus. DMU is truly an amazing school, so take advantage of everything they offer you! When I started here, I felt like there was no way I’d ever become the doctor they said we would be, but at the end of the program, I now realize DMU has prepared me way more than expected for the profession. You’ll be there soon, too.” 

“My advice is to have fun, be yourself and work hard. Always be nice and kind to classmates and professors, because it means everything in PT school to have a great support system… P.S. Take advantage of the treadmill desk in the library – it saves lives :)” 

What advice would you give to today’s DMU students? The University’s alumni relations staff want to know – and they want to pass it on to students. Send your advice and encouragement by filling out this form!