2018 M.H.A. grad honored by Emory’s 40 Under Forty awards program

Jasmina Salcinovic-Spahic, DMSc, MMSc, M.H.A.’18, PA-C, DFAAPA, was a child during the 1990s Bosnian War who emigrated with her family to the United States with two bags of belongings and no English-speaking skills. Inspired by her wartime experience to help others as a health care provider, she devoted herself to her studies, completed her bachelor’s degree in psychology at George State University and then graduated from Emory University’s physician assistant (PA) program. Now a PA at the Veterans Affairs Central Iowa Health Care System in Des Moines, where she serves as a Care in the Community provider and Referral Coordination Initiative champion for specialty care clinics, she’s gone on to earn other degrees, including her master of health care administration degree at DMU; serve as a preceptor for DMU PA students; and be recognized by the American Academy of Physician Assistants with its Distinguished Fellow designation, its highest honor.

Now Salcinovic-Spahic has another feather to put in her cap: In September she was selected for the Emory University Alumni Association’s 40 Under Forty awards program, Class of 2021. The program spotlights alumni, chosen from hundreds of nominations every year, across a variety of vocations for having made a significant impact in business, research, leadership, public service and/or philanthropic endeavors.

“As a PA, the most rewarding experience for me has been when I see my patients get and feel better as a result of care I provided,” she stated in an essay in the spring/summer 2021 issue of DMU Magazine. “Throughout my career, I’ve tried to remember: Never give up, always keep learning and expand knowledge and skills as much as possible.”